This guides is going to tell you about obtaining:
An Educational credential assessment (ECA) is used to verify that your foreign degree, diploma, or certificate (or other proof of your credential) is valid and equal to a Canadian one. There are different types of ECAs. You need to get an ECA for immigration purposes. If you got another type of ECA, you may be able to get it re-issued, depending on the type of ECA and/or issuing organization.
You must include your ECA report and the reference number in your Express Entry profile.
Your ECA report may help when you’re looking for a job. But, it doesn’t guarantee that:
· you’ll get a job in your field, or at a certain level
· you’ll get a license to practice in a regulated profession (job)
If you plan to work in a regulated job, you must get your license in the province or territory that you plan to settle in.
If you completed your education outside Canada, you need an assessment to:
· be eligible as the principal applicant for Federal Skilled Workers Program (Express Entry), or
· earn points for education you got outside Canada
You can also earn points for your spouse or common-law partner’s education, if they are coming with you to Canada.
You don’t need an assessment for a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate.
To earn points, your report must show that your completed foreign credential (degree, diploma or certificate) is equal to a completed Canadian secondary school (high school) or post-secondary credential.
In most cases, you only need an assessment for your highest level of education.
For example, if you have a Master’s degree, you only need an assessment for that degree. You don’t need one for your Bachelor’s degree.
To get points for having 2 or more credentials, you need an assessment for each one.
To get full points for more than 1 credential, at least 1 of the credentials must be for 3 or more years of study.The order that you complete your credentials does not affect points.
You must get your assessment from an organization or a professional body designated by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. They will give you a report that tells you what your education is equal to in Canada.
Processing times and costs may vary by organization or professional body.
Once you choose a designated organization or a professional body, they will tell you how to submit your documents to get your assessment.
If you plan to work for a large employer or in a regulated occupation, you may need to have your assessment done by a specific designated organization. Check with your employer or the regulatory body for your occupation for more information.
Your report must show that your foreign credential is valid and equal to a completed Canadian secondary school (high school) or post-secondary credential. If it does, you must include the result and reference number in your Express Entry profile.
If your report shows that your credential isn’t equal to a completed Canadian credential or the foreign educational institution is not recognized:
· you won’t meet the education requirement under the Federal Skilled Workers Program
· you won’t get any points for it
Your report must:
· be issued for immigration purposes by an organization or professional body designated by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
· be issued on or after the date we designated the organization or professional body
· not be more than 5 years old on the date you:
submit your Express Entry profile
apply for permanent residence
Don’t ask the designated organization or the professional body to send us your report.
To get full points for having more than 1 credential:
· at least 1 of the credentials must be for a program of 3 or more years in length
· you need a valid educational credential assessment (ECA) for each credential
The order that you complete your credentials in does not affect points.
How to enter more than 1 educational credential in your profile
Follow these steps:
· go to the Study and languages form in your profile
· fill in all the fields in the Education history section with your first credential
use the credential for your highest degree, diploma or certificate
· click Save and add
the fields you just filled out will go blank
· your credential will appear in the Education history table below the Save and add button. Repeat steps 1 to 3 for all your remaining educational credentials
You can’t submit more than 1 educational credential in the same field.