Popular searches
Family & Kids
Food & Drinks
Extend your study permit:

Extend your study permit:

Most people must apply online to extend their study permit from within Canada. You should submit an application to extend your study permit before your current permit expires.

If your study permit has already expired

You need to restore your status as a student, as well as extend your study permit. 

You must apply to restore your status within 90 days of losing it. If you don’t, you must leave Canada.

You can’t continue your studies until we restore your status as a student in Canada and extend your study permit.

If you want to keep studying

You need to extend your study permit. To extend your study permit, you need to know:

  • When to apply: Including what to do if your studies end early or late or your permit has expired

  • How to apply: Including what you need to apply online, instruction guide and how to apply online

If your study permit expires, and you haven’t applied for an extension, you must leave Canada.

When to extend your study permit

You should apply to extend your permit at least 30 days before it expires. Make sure your passport doesn’t expire at the same time. You can’t extend your study permit beyond your passport’s expiry date.

If you apply before your permit expires, you can stay in Canada under the same conditions as your current study permit until we make a decision.

You should apply to extend your study permit if you plan to travel outside Canada and your permit will expire while you’re travelling.

If you’ll finish your studies earlier than you expected

The 90 days begin

  • on the date you get the first notification from your school (such as an email, letter, transcript, etc.) that you completed your program or
  • when you get your degree, diploma or certificate.

If you can’t prove the date you were first notified by your school, we’ll use the earliest issue date on the document. We may need to confirm this date with your school.

If you want to keep studying, you must apply to extend your study permit at least 30 days before your permit expires.

If you’ll finish your studies later than you expected

You must apply to extend your study permit at least 30 days before the original expiry date.

What to do if your permit has expired

You have lost your student status if you’re still in Canada and

  • the expiry date of your permit passed before you applied
  • for a new study permit
  • for a work permit, or
  • to stay in Canada as a visitor
  • you didn’t respect the conditions of your permit

In some cases, you may apply to restore your status as a student. To apply, you must

  • submit your application within 90 days of losing your status
  • keep meeting the requirements for your stay
  • have met all the conditions listed on your permit, and
  • pay your fees
  • restoration fee
  • study permit

How To Apply

Before you apply to extend your study permit, make sure your school is on the designated learning institution list (DLI).

If your school is no longer on the DLI list, you can keep studying until your current permit expires. When you need to extend your study permit, you’ll need to enroll at a DLI.

If your visitor visa has expired, and you need or want to leave and return to Canada, you also need to apply for a new visitor visa (not a visitor record).

How to apply to extend your study permit

In most cases, you must apply online to extend your study permit.

Find out how to apply and restore your status.

How applying online helps you

  • No courier fees or mail delivery time—we get your application instantly.
  • Your application may be processed more quickly.
  • It helps you make sure your application is complete before you submit it.
  • You can quickly submit more documents online (if we ask you to).
  • You get updates on the status of your application directly in your online account.

Step 1: make sure you have what you need

To apply online, you’ll need

  • a scanner or camera to create electronic copies of your documents, and
  • a valid credit or debit card

Step 2: read the instruction guide

Even if you apply online, you should read the instruction guide before you complete your application. The guide explains how to complete each field on the form.

Step 3: prepare your answers for the online tool

Before you can upload your forms, you must answer some questions. We use your answers to create a personalized document checklist for you.

Step 4: know the fees you have to pay

In most cases, your fees will include processing fees for you and anyone you include on your application.

We’ll ask you to pay your fees at the end of your application.

Step 5: create your online account or sign in

You need an account to apply online. You can use your account to:

  • pay your fees
  • submit your application
  • check your status

Traveling outside Canada and then re-entering

A study permit is not a travel document. It doesn’t give you the right to travel to Canada. Along with your permit, you need either:

Possession of an eTA or a visa, in addition to your study permit, doesn’t guarantee that we will let you back into Canada. You must show the border services officer that you meet all the requirements before we will let you re-enter.

If you are from a visa-exempt country:

Along with your study permit, you need:

  • a valid passport and
  • an eTA (if you plan to travel to Canada by air)

You don’t need an eTA if you’re arriving by land or sea (for example, by car, bus, train or boat).

If you received your initial study permit before August 1, 2015, you need to apply for an eTA if you haven’t already done so.

If you received your initial study permit on or after August 1, 2015, you already have an eTA. We automatically issued it to you when we approved your initial study permit. It’s valid for 5 years or until your passport expires. See your letter of introduction for details.

Renewing your study permit

If we issue your renewed study permit on or after May 1, 2017, we will automatically issue you an eTA as well.

If we issued your renewed study permit before May 1, 2017 and you don’t already have an eTA, you will need to get one before you return to Canada by air.

If you’re a lawful permanent resident of the United States:

Lawful permanent residents of the U.S. need an eTA to fly to Canada. If you received your study permit before August 1, 2015, you need to apply for an eTA if you:

  • don’t already have one and
  • plan to travel from and return to Canada by air.

If you received your study permit on or after August 1, 2015, we automatically issued you an eTA.

Your eTA is linked to the passport you used to apply for your study permit. When flying to Canada you must travel with:

  • the valid passport you used to apply for your study permit and
  • your proof of status in the U.S. (like a valid Green Card)

You don’t need an eTA when driving to Canada or arriving by train, bus, or boat. However, you will need to provide proof of your U.S. lawful permanent resident status (such as your Green Card).

If you are from a visa-required country:

You’ll need a valid visa and a valid study permit to return to Canada to study. You don’t need a valid visa if you return directly from a visit only to the United States or St. Pierre and Miquelon. You must re-apply for a visitor visa if your visa:

  • has expired; or
  • was only valid for a single entry to Canada.

As of May 1, 2017, eligible citizens of select visa-required countries will receive an eTA when renewing their study permit. The eTA is electronically linked to the passport that you used to renew your permit and is valid for five years or until your passport expires. You can only use the eTA when you fly to, or transit through, Canada by air. You will receive a letter from us with information about your eTA number and expiration date.

Note: if you already have a valid visitor visa, you can use it to travel to Canada until it expires. A visitor visa will allow you to travel to Canada by any means: plane, car, bus, train or boat.

U.S. Citizens

United States citizens should carry:

  • a valid U.S. passport when flying to or transiting through a Canadian airport
  • the right travel documents when driving or arriving in Canada by train, bus or boat

Find out about Canada’s re-admittance conditions if you’ve:

  • applied to extend your status and
  • need to travel outside Canada before you get your new permit because of an emergency.
12 Saved
1 Comment
Rasika· Aug 26, 02:24
Hello buddies, I need a little help from you guys, I am student from Montreal, QC. My study permit expiring in January 2021, my CAQ is expiring on March 2021 and I am completing my course in May 2022. I am confused which one should extend first??