Popular searches
Family & Kids
Food & Drinks

Doing your taxes in Canada

To receive benefit and credits to which you’re entitled to, you need to:

  • File your income tax and benefit return

  • keep your personal information up to date with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)


The due date for filing individual tax returns was extended to June 1, 2020. Taxpayers will have until September 30, 2020 to pay any 2019 income tax amounts owed.


For those who are self-employed, or who have a spouse or common-law partner who is self-employed, the deadline to file your tax return was June 15, 2020.

If you file your 2019 tax return after September 30, 2020, make sure you have paid any amount you owe by September 30, 2020 to avoid the late-filing penalties. After this date, the CRA will charge interest on any amount you owe until your balance is paid.

For a deceased person

When filing a tax return for a deceased person, the due date for the return will depend on the date of death, and if the person owned a business in 2019.

The due date for filing the return of a surviving spouse, or common-law partner who was living with the deceased, is the same as the due date for filing the deceased person’s final return.

However, any balance owing by the surviving spouse or common-law partner, still has to be paid on or before September 30, 2020.

Gather your tax information

Get everything you need to calculate your income and support any credits, deductions and expenses you’ll claim.

If you were employed or had an investment income in 2019, your employer or financial institution will send you statements commonly referred to as ‘’slips’’. Here are some common examples:

  • T3 Statement of Trust Income Allocation and Designations
  • T4 Statement of Remuneration Paid
  • T5 Statement of Investment Income


If you have not received a tax slip for the current year, or you misplaced it, you can ask the issuer of the slip for a copy. You can also get copies of your slips by logging into the Canada Revenue Agency’s My Account service.

Ways to file your tax return

To file your return, choose one secure option below.

Use electronic software:

You will find a list of certified desktop, online, and mobile software products at canada.ca/netfile-software. Some of these products are free of charge.

On paper

If you filed your taxes on paper last year, the CRA will automatically mail you the 2019 Income tax package by February 17, 2020.

You can view, download and order forms at canada.ca/taxes-general-package or call the CRA at 1-855-330-3305 to order a copy.

By phone with File my Return

Those who are eligible will have received an invitation letter in the mail in mid-February 2020.

The Community Volunteer Income Tax Program

If you have a modest income and a simple tax situation, volunteers at free tax clinics may be able to do your taxes for you, in-person, for free! Free tax clinics are generally offered between March and April across Canada, with some even open year-round. To learn more, or to find a tax clinic near you, go to Canada.ca/taxes-help.

Complete your tax return

Step 1: Provide and update your personal information

Keeping your personal information up-to-date with the CRA can save you time when doing your taxes. Tell the CRA if any of the following has changed:

  • your marital status
  • the number of children in your care
  • your banking information
  • your home address

It is important to let the CRA know about these changes as soon as possible, to make sure you get the right benefit and credits you are entitled to.

Step 2: Report your income

Income is money you earn through employment, self-employment, and investments you have, or benefits you receive. On your return, you must report income from all sources, both inside and outside Canada. This is true even if you were paid in cash, which includes money you earn as a side job or tips you have received.

Step 3: Claim your deductions, tax credits and expenses

Reduce the amount of tax you pay by claiming your deductions, expenses and tax credits. You’ll have to use the receipts and records you kept during the year to support your claims.

Send your tax return

There are several ways to send your tax return to the CRA. This depends on how you decide to complete your return.

By software (electronically)

  • If you selected a NETFILE certified software, it will communicate directly with the NETFILE application servers and transmit all required information on your behalf directly

By paper:

By phone:

  • Follow the instructions in the invitation letter for File my Return that you received from the CRA.

Note: Remember to keep all your receipts. 

Regardless of how you submit your tax return, you must keep all your tax documents for at least six years. If you claimed expenses, deductions or tax credits, make sure you keep all your receipts and any related documents in case the CRA asks to see them.

What to do after you send your tax return

If you file online and are registered for online mail, you could get your notice of assessment (NOA) shortly after you file your tax return using the Express NOA service.

When to expect your refund

If you file your tax return online and choose direct deposit, you could receive your refund in as little as eight business days. If you send us a paper tax return, it generally takes eight weeks before the CRA issues your notice of assessment and any refund.

Pay a balance owed

There are many ways to make a payment to the CRA. To avoid interest or penalties, make sure you pay any amount you owe by September 30, 2020. After this date, the CRA will charge interest on any amount you owe until your balance is paid. Interest applies after September 30, even if you are self-employed.

If you cannot pay the balance you owe in full

You can make a payment arrangement with the CRA. The CRA can grant relief from penalty or interest, in certain circumstances.

Change your return?

If you forgot to include information or made a mistake on your tax return, wait until you get your notice of assessment from the CRA. Then, you can change your return.

28 Saved
Pothik· Sep 05, 16:33
Is there any recommendations for doing course for tax filling
Arsalan · Sep 05, 22:38
If you want a side hustle and then make it a business of your own then go for it
Madhu · Sep 05, 16:59
You donot need to do a course. Go to a professional for help in case you forget something you can claim.
Pothik· Sep 05, 22:41
I was looking for the course for my side business and also interested to know in details
Madhu · Sep 06, 00:55
H&R Block has a entry level course. It starts in September I think.
Huzefa· Sep 06, 08:01
Whom do we contact if we haven't received our results back ? Filed taxes in May, still haven't received a reply.
Madhu · Sep 06, 13:29
Hi, call up CRA directly and find out. If you have a My Account with CRA you go directly in and can see if your taxes have been assessed.
Madhu · Sep 06, 13:31
I hope you live in Canada because all this information is for Canada only.