Popular searches
Family & Kids
Food & Drinks
 Different Routes to Getting a Canadian PR

Different Routes to Getting a Canadian PR

PR (Permanent Resident) in Canada

If Canada is your goal and immigration to Canada is at the forefront of your thoughts, along with the desire to settle in your dream destination as a permanent resident, the most ideal option is to apply for a Canada PR Visa. Prior to actualizing this choice of yours, you should be well acquainted with all the opportunities for you and your accompanying family members in Canada.

However, there are many ways to get Canadian PR as the Canadian Government made some rules and categories known as "Immigration Categories". 

Canada offers multiple channels for immigration, that you can make use of, some categories are showing below :

  • Express Entry: Most popular and fastest immigration route, run by the Federal government for the skilled people. The very first step would be to check the link Start your Express Entry profile. Then check if your profession is listed in the NOC list which is available at Find your NOC. You need to be working in that profession for a certain period of time (at least 1 year, 30 hours per week, full time, within the last ten years) to apply under a skilled worker program as it is based on a point system called Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS). Following which, make an express entry profile that is valid for one year. As there are draws every month under which selected candidates are invited to submit a full application for immigration. If your CRS score is 450 you will get an invitation to apply for PR. Every month the system sends invitations to top 1000–1500 applicants in the system. The whole process takes about 6 months or less. Although, Canadian immigration is entirely points based, every applicant is awarded fixed points for their education, age, language abilities, marital status, spouse’s qualifications etc, through the Comprehensive Ranking System that awards these points. Thus, Canada calculates a CRS score based on your attributes.
  • Provincial Nominee: This is the second most popular channel, meant for people who do not have sufficient score to clear Express Entry. Run by each individual province, this program opens on an ad-hoc basis. If you get nominated, then you must spend 2 years in the province, before you can move to any other province.

  • Family Sponsorship: Existing permanent residents can sponsor their relatives, including their spouse, partner, children, parents, grandparents, and others to immigrate.

  • Quebec-selected skilled worker: This immigration program runs separately by the province of Quebec. This channel is meant for people who want to live in Quebec specifically.

  • Start-up Visa: Have a start-up idea and can bring in local jobs? Canada will give you a PR, if your idea is accepted by a designated organization and implemented.

  • Self-Employed: Can contribute culturally or in athletics to Canada.

  • Atlantic Immigration Pilot: Immigrate by graduating from a school or working in New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, or Newfoundland and Labrador. This program is meant to boost the economies of Atlantic provinces that usually don’t see much immigration influx.
  • Refugees

Majority of the applicants apply via Express Entry, Provincial Nomination or Family Sponsorship. It is certainly possible to get PR while in Canada depending upon what you have been doing during your stay in Canada and the duration of your stay. Immigration to Canada is skills-based. Criteria include your age, your education, your work experience and your English/French language abilities.

NOTE : Permanent residents (PRs) of Canada must carry and present their valid PR card or permanent resident travel document (PRTD) when boarding a flight to Canada, or travelling to Canada on any other commercial carrier. If you do not carry your PR card or PRTD, you may not be able to board your flight, train, bus or boat to Canada.

It is your responsibility to ensure that your PR card is still valid when you return from travel outside Canada, and to apply for a new PR card when your current card expires. If your PR card expires, it does not mean you have lost permanent resident status. 


62 Saved