Popular searches
Family & Kids
Food & Drinks
Applying for Work Permit in Canada

Applying for Work Permit in Canada

Canada Work Permit, or a Work Visa, is issued to eligible overseas individuals to work in that country for a specific time period.

People need to apply for a Work Visa only after getting a job offer or an employment contract from a Canadian employer. The employer must obtain from ESDC (Employment and Social Development Canada) an LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment), which gives them permission to recruit foreign skilled workers for occupations that cannot be filled in by citizens or permanent residents of Canada.

As one of the world’s leading economies Canada is a great destination for individuals seeking to work abroad.

The Canadian Work Permit Visa allows business people, permanent workers, temporary workers, students and others to work in Canada. Typically, applicants need to have a job offer in hand in order to apply for the work permit visa. With our end-to-end overseas career solutions, Y-Axis can help you find a job and apply for a Canadian Work Permit Visa.


Applicants need to show proof that they are eligible to take up the job offer.

To apply for a Canada Work Permit from India, you need to meet certain requirements. Documents need to be submitted in either English. The Canada Work Permit Visa is ideal for temporary workers, foreign graduates from Canadian universities, businessmen and others who need to work in Canada.

Eligibility Requirements If You Apply From Inside Canada

You can only apply for a work permit from inside Canada if -

  • you have a valid study or work permit;
  • your spouse, common-law partner or parents have a valid study or work permit;
  • you’re eligible for a post-graduation work permit and your study permit is still valid;
  • you have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more;
  • you’re waiting on a decision on an application for permanent residence from inside Canada;
  • you made a claim for refugee protection;
  • you’ve been recognized as a convention refugee or protected person by the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada;
  • you’re allowed to work in Canada without a work permit but you need a work permit to work in a different job (this does not apply to business visitors); or
  • you’re a trader, investor, intra-company transferee or professional under the Canada – United States – Mexico Agreement (CUSMA)

Anyone can apply before they enter Canada. However, there may be visa office requirements that you need to meet depending on what country or territory you’re applying from. Make sure you follow the instructions for how to apply.


Typically, obtaining a Canadian work permit is a two-step process. In most cases, applicants will first require a job offer before they can apply for a Canadian work permit.

Step 1

In the vast majority of cases, the first step towards obtaining a Canadian work permit is to apply for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC). Usually, the Canadian employer must undertake domestic recruitment efforts and demonstrate that no Canadian permanent residents or citizens are qualified for the position at hand.

Step 2

After a positive LMIA has been issued, the applicant can apply for a Canadian work permit on that basis.

Work permits are employer specific, unless a worker has an open work permit. If a worker wants to change employers, they must obtain a new Work Permit before performing another job in Canada. Canadian work permits are also limited in duration.

You can apply for a work permit online or on paper. 

  • No courier fees or mail delivery time – we get your application instantly.
  • Online applications may be processed more quickly.
  • Avoid processing delays. Incomplete applications are returned to you. Applying online helps ensure your application is complete before you submit it.
  • If we need to ask for more documents, you can quickly submit them online.
  • You don’t need to submit your passport until we ask for it.
  • Get updates on the status of your application directly in your online account.


You need to give your fingerprints and photo (biometrics)

In most cases, you need to give biometrics.

After you pay the biometrics fee and submit your application, we’ll send you a letter that says you need to give your biometrics. The letter will tell you how and where to give your biometrics. You have up to 30 days to give your biometrics (in person).

If you didn’t pay the biometrics fee, we’ll send you a letter asking you to do this first. You can only get the instruction letter if you pay the biometrics fee.

To process your work permit application, this may also include :

  • go to an interview with our officials in your country, or
  • to send more information

You might need a medical exam to enter Canada. If you do, an officer will tell you and will send you instructions on what to do. A medical exam can add over 3 months to the time it takes us to process your application.

An officer will also check:

If your application is approved

If your application is approved, you’ll get a letter that says you’re allowed to work in Canada. Bring this letter with you when you travel to Canada.

That letter is not a work permit. You’ll get your work permit when you arrive in Canada.

The work permit will outline:

  • the type of work you can do
  • the employer you can work for
  • where you can work, and
  • how long you can work

If you applied for your work permit from inside Canada

If you’re eligible to apply from within Canada, we’ll mail the work permit to the Canadian address you gave us.

42 Saved
Paishan· Sep 02, 16:27
Thank you
1 Like
Zakk· Sep 09, 11:57
My nephew wants to come here for study. The course will be online now due to Covid. College is saying they will be eligible for one year work permit. How easy will it be for him to come to Canada once his study period is over. Thanks
Harmanpreet Singh· Sep 15, 22:05
It would not be an issue. He can do 50% of his study online/out of Canada. He'll be given work permit at the end.
1 Like
Surendra Singh· Oct 28, 20:12
Thank u
Chef Aamir· Nov 08, 14:04
Hi I'm a chef and I have 5 years experience please let me know if you have any vacancy
Singh· Nov 14, 08:24
Hi i am now in Dubai so plz any jobs have plz tell me
1 Like
Chef Aamir· Nov 14, 17:11
Contact key global immigration Dubai
Ayushi· Dec 02, 04:48
Hi how can a person apply a work permit if he changed his colleege after coming to canada
Amit· Feb 17, 17:25
How can i apply a work permit visa from INDIA for CANADA?
About homeis in Canada
Homeis is a digital home for immigrants. We’ve created this app because all of us at homeis, just like you, were born in one country and moved to another. We all have two homes and similar experiences! Super happy you’re here.