Homeis
Hey there! This guide was published on homeis, a community for Indians in USA.

Download the App to join our community.

homeis 
published a new  guide
Post Image

Life in the USA: The American People

Guides
Lifestyle
Culture
Dashed border

By Life in the USA


Any study of the American people must take into account how complicated that subject is. The United States is a large country encompassing more than 300 million people. Indigenous people (today called Native Americans) make up at most 2% of the American population today. The other 98% are either immigrants or descendants of immigrants.


Many people came to the United States to seek economic opportunity or religious freedom. Others came as slaves. Some groups, including many from the British Isles, became well established by the time of American independence from Great Britain in 1776. Others, like the Irish and many Germans, came in waves during the 19th century.


Asians came in their own waves, especially over the past half century. So-called Hispanic people (actually a very varied group) could be descendants of 17th century settlers from Spain, or they could have arrived in the United States last week (or any time span in between).


Click here for the full article



K
5Saved
Comment
2610