Hey there! This guide was published on homeis, a community for Indians in USA.

Download the App to join our community.

published a new  guide
All you need to know about social security

All you need to know about social security

New In Town
Dashed border
In the U.S., Social Security is a government benefit dedicated to three general groups of people: retirees, families of disabled or deceased workers, and people with disabilities and is a a range of financial benefits from the U.S. Federal Government available to virtually all those who work legally in the United States (including immigrants, nonimmigrant’s, foreign nationals, foreign workers). If you work in the United States, you need to have a Social Security Number (SSN) and also pay your Social Security taxes. The taxes are withheld by your employer and submitted to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), and if you are self-employed, you are responsible for submitting the taxes to the IRS yourself. One of the first things to do when you arrive in the US is to address the issue of Social Security. As you'll quickly discover, you can not issue a credit card, open a bank account, or enroll in school without that number. Service providers, telephone and electricity, for example, require the number before the service is provided. From the moment you receive a number and appear in your system, you start earning credits for future benefits. There are three types of Social Security Card: -The first and most common card has your name and SSN on it, does not specify any restrictions related to the work and is widely accepted by US citizens or immigrants with a permanent work permit from the Department of Homeland Security. -The second type of card is captioned NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT and is issued for immigrants without a work permit and who need benefits from the SSN. -This third type has a caption VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH INS AUTHORIZATION is issued to people in the United States on a temporary basis, legally and have permission to work. To apply for a social security number, you can download the Social Security Number application or visit their branch. When you are done filling the form, you must sign the form yourself if you are 18 or older and healthy in your mind and body. If you cannot sign your name, you can sign "X" in the presence of two witnesses who will also sign their name. If you cannot sign your application for physical or mental reasons, a parent, relative or legal guardian can sign the application form. To apply for a ticket for the first time, you will need the certain documents to show: - Your age: You will be required to bring your original birth certificate However, if you do not have your birth certificate, you will also receive the following documents: Registration of the hospital indicating your birth, passport, adoption document - Your identity: In order to issue a duplicate card with the same number, a document confirming your identity is required. In order to apply for a revised card, you must submit a document confirming your identity. You also need one or two documents that confirm your previous name, as well as your new name. Examples of acceptable documents: marriage certificate, divorce certificate, certificate indicating change of name. You will also receive documents attesting to your identity, both old and new.